Winter Wonderland at ResorTime.com is here and it is that time of the year again to bundle up and make some hot cocoa. Now you need to know what to do in winter. Sure, a Thanksgiving meal and Christmas with the family and friends is a given and maybe even making your home made eggnog is part of the tradition. While most of us have to put aside surfing, sunbathing, bike riding, and other fun summer activities, that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun because it’s cold outside. Here are my top 10 things to do in winter…
- Skiing / Snowboarding – Try and get in at least one trip up the mountain this year to keep your legs fresh. A little extreme sports will make you feel young again (maybe skip the dangerous back flips and half pipes).
- Ice Skating – In places like Southern California, we have to find an indoor ice-skating rink. But for you who live in the cold, ice skating on a lake could be a lot of fun. I hear in eastern Russia you can ice skate on the ocean for several miles out to sea!
- Snowman – Challenge your friends to a snowman building competition and win the contest by painting your Frosty with water that is colored with food coloring. Be careful trying to make your snowman too big, I couldn’t lift his middle section last time so I had to make a laying down snowman.
- Roast Marshmallows – Classic but just as fun as ever. Throw your winter coat on and start a fire with some friends then roast some marshmallows, add chocolate and graham crackers, and enjoy! Don’t be that guy that flings around a flaming mellow.
- Sledding (Tobogganing) – Take a day trip up the mountain with the kids and some sleds, find a patch of snow on a hill, and you have your own amusement park with a free entrance.
- Snowmobiling – You might not be James Bond, but snowmobiling can be a lot of fun in the mountains. There are numerous tours you can join so you don’t get lost in the woods.
- Dog Sled Rides – Although I haven’t personally done this yet, it is now on my bucket list. Almost every ski mountain has someone giving dog sled rides, jump on board and pretend you are in the movie “Iron Will“
- Hot Springs – Are you sick of all the cold stuff to do? Well find yourself a hot springs that is bubbling and relax as if it were a warm summer night. Just watch out, it will be colder when you get out.
- Learn to Knit – Knitting is a great past-time but that is not why you should do it this winter. You should learn to knit your own beanie to keep those ears warm in the snow and cold nights. It is so easy a caveman can do it (sorry for the Geico joke).
- Snowball Fight - I saved the best for last. Either surprise an unsuspecting friend or gather your neighborhood around for a giant snowball fight. Either way, this is a great way to pass the time this winter. Please, do not through frozen snowballs… that is called ice and will hurt someone.
So what are you waiting for? Now you know what to do this winter and since it hasn’t officially started, you have plenty of time to do all 10. Have fun, be safe and be sure to let me know if you are organizing any Guinness book of world record snow ball fights, I’m in.
PS. Oh and if you don’t live in the cold, ResorTime.com can help you plan your winter vacation so you can experience what the fuss is all about.